Sunday, August 24, 2008

Playing in the sand

I thought I would add some pics from our Sand dunes trip. We were on the way to Texas from Colorado and Jon REALLY wanted to stop at the Great Sand Dune National park, so I being the humble submissive wife roused myself from sleep at 4 in the morning, to leave from Tiff's house in Denver, so we would still get to Ft. Worth relatively early. I was gently lulled in to sleep again as we approached the turnoff to get to the park. When I awoke again the sun was high in the sky, and as I blinked the dryness from my contacts (some of you know exactly the feeling) I realized that I did not see any sand dunes...or hills...or small sandy bumps.
"How long have we been off the highway hon?" I asked sweetly of course.
"Oh, um, I don't know exactly, maybe about, uh...an hour?"
I smiled gently, "how much longer do you think it will be?"
"Oh I think I saw a sign for it back a little, let me think, it might have said around, sort of close to, could be another 35 miles?" At this point I was white knuckling the arm rests and trying valiantly to control myself as I realized that our already seriously long trip was about to double in length. In a car with a ten month old, a 4 year old and our oldest who is now 7.
I failed. After a little peaceful conversing with hubby, I did not speak very much after that.
All that to say, that if I had known how long it would take I never would have gone, but it was incredible and I'm glad I was roped into it.
We arrived in Ft. Worth at about 2 in the morning. The next morning.

1 comment: